Last updated on December 20th, 2020
Getting from Livingstone Airport in Zambia to Victoria Falls in Zimbabwe seems simple enough, right? However, you’re crossing from one country to another, and entering “no man’s land” whilst doing so.
Before my trip, I read a lot of conflicting information about the border crossing from Zambia to Zimbabwe and after hours of research, I still didn’t have the answers.
Now that I’ve done it over four times, I wrote this post to help those who want to do the border crossing from Zambia to Zimbabwe at Victoria Falls. If you’re just wanting to see the Victoria Falls Bridge, this guide is all you need!
Why you need to do the border crossing from Zambia to Zimbabwe
There are many reasons you would need to cross the Victoria Falls Bridge from Zambia to Zimbabwe:
1) Most international flights land in Livingstone, Zambia and if you’re staying in Vic Falls you’ll need to get from Zambia to Zimbabwe. Tip: I much preferred Victoria Falls town as opposed to Livingstone, so it’s worth flying into Livingstone Airport and crossing the border so you can stay in Vic Falls.
2) Perhaps you’re staying in Livingstone, Zambia and want to visit Victoria Falls National Park from the Zimbabwean side. Check out this post to find out why the Zimbabwe side is so much better.
3) Walking across the Victoria Falls Bridge is one of the best things to do in the area. So, regardless of where you stay, you should make an effort to go and view the falls from the bridge (and you would need to cross the border to do so).
Requirements to cross the Victoria Falls Bridge
In order to get to the Victoria Falls Bridge, you will need to pass through either the Zambia or Zimbabwe border post. Make sure you get the correct visa upon arrival at Livingstone Airport so that your able to do the border crossing.
If you are just visiting the bridge and will not be going into a new country, you need a single entry visa ($30). However, if you are going from Zambia across the Victoria Falls Bridge and then continuing to Zimbabwe, you’ll need a double entry visa ($45). You can find our more visa information here.
Why I didn’t pre-book a Taxi from Livingstone Airport to Victoria Falls Town
I spent many hours researching and trying to find the cheapest taxi from Livingstone airport to Victoria Falls.
The standard rate is between $25 – $35 per person for a pre-booked trip. This means you’re with in taxi or shuttle the entire way (and not 3 different taxi’s like me – keep reading to find out why)
Because I didn’t clearly understand the process for crossing from Zambia to Zimbabwe at Victoria Falls, I thought this rate was a bit excessive and so we decided to “wing it” as we were strapped for cash.
If you’re traveling on a budget, this is an awesome place to stay in Victoria Falls!
After landing in Zambia, with 7 pieces of luggage (we were moving to Korea hence all the luggage) we approached the various taxi drivers at the airport exit and tried our hand at bargaining.
The first problem – none of the taxis have licenses for their vehicles to cross the Victoria Falls Bridge from Zambia to Zimbabwe. Had we pre-booked a shuttle, we wouldn’t have had this problem as they have the correct licenses to move across the borders.
As a result, we needed to take a series of taxi’s to get from the Livingstone airport to Victoria Falls. Considering all the luggage we had, this was not ideal, but it was our only option.
Getting from Livingstone to Victoria Falls (Zambia to Zimbabwe)
Livingstone Airport → Zambia Border → Victoria Falls Bridge → Zimbabwe Border → Victoria Falls Town
The distance from Livingstone Airport to Victoria Falls is only 20km but the journey takes over an hour thanks to the numerous border posts you need to stop at.
Below are step-by step directions for crossing from Zambia to Zimbabwe at Victoria Falls Bridge.
1) Livingstone Airport to Zambia Border post
Driving from the Livingstone airport to the Zambia border post will take about 20 minutes. You can find a taxi outside the airport in Livingstone.
We paid $25 in total for this trip ($12.5 each) and the driver showed us where to get our passports stamped at the Zambia border.
2) Zambia border post to Zimbabwe border post (Across the Victoria Falls Bridge)
From the Zambia border post you need to get into another taxi and drive across the Victoria Falls Bridge. (If you are just going to see the bridge, you can walk from here)
You’ll need to get your passport stamped again at the Zimbabwe border post and then your border crossing is almost complete.
The drive from one border post to the next across the Victoria Falls Bridge takes 5 minutes and costs $5 for the trip. ($2.5 each).
3) Zimbabwe Border post to Victoria Falls Town
The third (and final) taxi from the Zimbabwe border post to Victoria Falls town was $8 ($4 each) for the 5-minute drive. This rate is’nt fixed and we managed to get this trip for $5 later on.
Costs for a taxi from Livingstone Airport to Victoria Falls
Overall, with the 3 separate taxi’s, we paid $19 each instead of the pre-booked cost of $25 from Livingstone Airport to Victoria Falls.
In hindsight, I should have pre-booked a taxi! The extra costs would have been so worth it considering all the luggage I had.
Practical information for Crossing Victoria Falls Bridge
- Distance from Livingstone Airport to Victoria Falls: 20km but the trip takes an hour.
- Costs to get from Livingstone Airport to Victoria Falls: $25 per person if pre-booked ($20 if you don’t).
- What to expect: 2 border crossings (one exit and one entry), the borders aren’t busy and it’s a quick and easy process.
- Bring: Your passport with the correct Visa On Arrival.
Looking for more Victoria Falls travel information? Check out my other posts!
- 14 Top Victoria Falls Activities
- Victoria Falls National Park: Entrance Fee and Travel Guide
- Victoria Falls Township Tour
- Zambezi Sunset Cruise
- Shoestring Backpackers in Vic Falls